May 2, 2012

Why Am I Running?


Someone asked me recently why in the world I wanted to run for State Representative.  I am running because I feel that our legislature has let Texas down.  Texas is a massive state with a budget that exceeds that of many foreign countries, yet our legislature only meets every odd year from the middle of January to the end of May.  That is not a very long time to handle as much business as Texas has.  Because of this, they table so many important issues that simply cannot wait any longer. 

One of those issues is education. We need a new system to fund public education, and we need it now.  We also have to find a way to put money into the transportation budget. Our infrastructure is crumbling and the majority of our bridges are in need of repairs or replacement. We need to expand many interstate highways to accommodate our ever-growing population and public transportation is becoming more of a necessity. 

Children’s healthcare and immigration are issues that are too important to place on the back burners any longer. We need to make sure that we can get as many children as possible covered either under Medicaid or CHIP. Despite what one might think, we need to make sure kids get the immunizations they need and that they grow up healthy. As for immigration, we need to work closely with the federal government to create a simpler, more realistic immigration policy. We cannot make laws like Arizona that over-reach what the federal government needs to do and we are wasting money trying to do their job. State representative is where I feel that I can make the biggest impact on these issues.

So why now?  Why would I want to put myself out there for possible embarrassment and probable defeat?  Redistricting has put this voting cycle into chaos, but that works in my favor and I do not intend on losing.  Life is about challenges and overcoming obstacles. I am a firm believer in the sports analogy that the score in every game always starts out 0 – 0. I will have a better-funded opponent, possibly an incumbent, but District 93 will be hard-pressed to find someone who will work harder than I will to improve the quality of life for its residents.  I am a fighter and I intend on taking this fight to Austin.

Ultimately, the one and only thing that can hold me back is money, or lack thereof.  My campaign platform speaks for itself and the facts are on my side, but it takes a significant sum of money to be competitive in a political race. I have never been comfortable asking for money, but I know that in order to compete and be effective I have to ask and I have to receive. Yard signs need to be made, brochures need to be distributed, mailers need to be done, etc.   Money will not be an obstacle to my opponent who is no stranger to the political machine. But other than being the better candidate, the main thing I have going for me is the fact that I am extremely resourceful.  I can, and will, do more with a fraction of the money than what they have. 

That is why I am asking you to place your faith in me and make a contribution through my website to aid me in my journey to Austin. We don’t have a lot of time but with your help, we can win this and make a difference in Texas politics.

Shane Hardin
District 93 Candidate

0 comments:

Post a Comment